Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to understand report spawning multiple sessions in Oracle

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJSFoxPro

Technical User
Jun 19, 2003
US
We are using Crystal Reports Developer is version 14.0.4.738 RTM also known as 2011 to develop our reports. We are writing reports against an Oracle 11gR2 database. Our DBA has limited the "sessions per user" to 5 sessions. Problem is, the report I'm working on is hanging and my DBA has confirmed that it hangs when it runs out of sessions for the report. The DBA bumped the "sessions per user" up to 10 for a test. My report is using 6 sessions!

I have 3 database field sql statements. The primary source includes 2 with clauses and a group by. I have 4 parameters for the report, 2 of which are dynamic.

It appears that the report spawns 3 Oracle sessions, 1 each for the database field sources. It appears the 2 dynamic parameters are also each using an Oracle session to populate. My primary source appears to be using 2 sessions (not sure if this is the behavior because of the with clauses or the group by?).

Bottom line is, we are in development. The DBA does NOT want the number of sessions needed to get out of control when we go to the production environment. I am trying to get a handle on what is needed for sessions for the reports, but have been unsuccessful getting any "clear" documentation explaining how this works. My DBA will NOT just give us unlimited "sessions per user" without some explantion because there have been times when that kind of limit has resulted in production outages due to hung servers, etc.

Can anyone point me to any documentation on this? Or, does anyone have a clear explanation on what to expect for sessions needed by a report? (i.e., am I right in my assumption of what is using sessions in my report)

Thanks for any direction you can provide!

I have 3 database field sql statements.
What do you mean by this? Do you have three Commands in your report? Or are you pulling data from three different databases?

-Dell

DecisionFirst Technologies - Seven-time SAP BusinessObjects Solution Partner of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back