Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to trunk Procurve 2900 with Procurve 1800

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordine

IS-IT--Management
Sep 23, 2008
US
I am using the 2900 as a core switch. Routing works beteen all VLANS. I have created 2 LACP connections with each of 2 Procurve 1800s. As long as I am on the default vlan plugged into an 1800 I can get anywhere in the network, but I cannot pass other VLAN info to or from the 1800s.

Glad you figured out your problem. In the future, please include your resolution in case someone else runs into the same or simular issues. That way, you can help others out also.

You are correct. I apologize that I didn't post my solution. I am running around trying to prepare for the installation of our new phone system (which is partly why I was trying to trunk in the first place). This is how I solved it. (not that this is the best or only solution)

I used the web interface on both the Procurve 2900 and the procurve 1800s (mostly because the 1800 does not have a CLI).

I added a number of ports on the 2900, 4 to each 1800 in my case, to a trunk group and choose LACP as type. In VLAN configuration I could add the trunks to any vlan as tagged.

On each 1800 I created each trunk using the LACP setup utility. I then created the vlans and added the trunk to each. I think they add automatically, but it never hurts to check. Where I was running into trouble was on vlan port config. The help directs you to connect to other switches by choosing "tagged only" and "none" for PVID, but every time I set it that way I had to go plug to the switch and change it back to "all" and choose a PVID. The kicker is you can only choose one PVID. If a port was set to the PVID of the vlan it was isolated.

What I did was set all ports to the untagged PVID and shoose "all" for packet type. Then I had to set the nic in the server to be vlan capable. After that- everything fell into place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back