Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to teach myself C++, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

joec3rd

Programmer
Oct 22, 2007
US
below is a simple program i am trying to figure out as i teach my self c++ from this wonderful book i bought. currently my biggest problem is the loop it creates. Once i figure that out i know there is going to be a problem with the math in it, but that should be easier. This is suppose to make a program/game where the player picks a number between 1 and 100 and the computer tries to guess it. my problem is when it while loop starts it never stops and waits for the user to input any of the cin variables. How do i make it wait for those?
thanks in advance for any info and help

#include "stdafx.h"
#include <iostream>
#include <cstdlib>
#include <ctime>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
srand(time(0));//seeds random number generator

int compguess = rand() % 100 + 1; //generates random number between 1 and 100

bool playeranswer;
bool yes = true, no = false;
playeranswer = no;

int reguess = 1;

int newcompGuess;

bool updown;
bool high = true, low = false;
updown = high;

char playerIsReady;

int newcompguess;

cout << "Pick a number between 1 and 100 and I will try to guess it!\n\n"<<endl;
cout << "Do you have your number?\n";
cin >> playerIsReady;

while (playeranswer == no)
{
cout << "Is your number " << compguess << "?";
cin >> playeranswer;
if (playeranswer == yes)
break;
cout << "Am I to High or to Low?\n"<<endl;
cin >> updown;

if (updown == 1)
{
newcompguess = rand() % compguess + 1; //generates random number between 1 and previous guess
compguess = newcompguess;
}

if (updown == 0)
{
newcompguess = rand() % 100 + compguess; //generates random number between previous and 100
compguess = newcompguess;
}
}

cout << "I guessed it!!!!\n";

return 0;
}

Are you expecting the user to type "yes" or "no"? If so, you want the answer to be a string (use the C++ std::string type in <string>). Then compare to "no" or "yes" with the double quotes that indicate a string.

playeranswer is a bool variable. The only acceptable input for a bool variable is 0 or 1 (or possibly "true" or "false" if you use boolalpha). Anything else and you will get a read error and playeranswer will not be set. Since you didn't initialize it, it could be set to anything, including false like no is. If you type 1 or 0 instead of "yes" or "no", your current code works better.

Also, please use [ignore]
Code:
[/ignore] tags when posting code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back