Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to suppress all records - Same person with multiples

Status
Not open for further replies.

vcujackson

Technical User
Apr 7, 2009
US
1. I have an ID for a constituent
2. The consituent can have multiple characteristics
3. In the select expert I choose
not characteristic = 1

What happens is the constituent record with characteristic 1 will not show up. However because that contituent has other characteristics he will show up on the report

4. I want to suppress the constituent entirely if the contsituent has a characteristic 1. Tried doing this in select expert and I tried a conditional suppression and a booleon expression but since I have not eliminated the other characteristics the record stills shows up. Any ideas?

you may have to create a group on the constituent. Create a flag if there is a characteristic = 1.
if {characteristic} = 1 then 1 else 0

sum that in the group footer. Hide the details. Suppress the group header and footer is sum(@flag},{constituent}) >0

you will also need to remove your entry in the select expert

Or you could use group selection, after creating the formula {@has1}:

if {table.characteristic} = 1 then 1

...and inserting a group on {table.constituent}. Then go to report->selection formula->GROUP and enter:

sum({@has1},{table.constituent}) = 0

This group selection approach has the same results as CoSpringsGuy's solution, but if you then use running totals to summarize the data, you don't have to explicitly exclude records that don't meet your criteria, as you would have to do with his suppression method. With either method, you would have to use running totals, as non-suppressed or non-group-selected records both would contribute to the more usual inserted summaries.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back