Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to speed up a report

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokerace

Technical User
May 24, 2005
US
C10
Access
Interbase

I am using one table in access, and multiple tables from an Interbase database. The access table is linked via inner join to an Interbase table by SSN. If I place one field from the Access table and one field from the linked Interbase tbale, the report runs quickly.

However, when I link the first interbase table to a second interbase table via common field IDs and then insert a field from that third table into the report, it begins to slow down considerably. I can't link the Access table directly to the second Interbase table because there is no common field.

Here is the current linking structure.
AccessTable(SSN)-->innerjoin-->InterbaseTable(SSN)-->innerjoinInterbaseTable2(ID)

Any ideas on how to get the report to run faster while still allowing me to link the three tables together?

If you can use SQL and Stored Procedures, that would speed things up a lot.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Windows XP & Crystal 10 [yinyang]

Do you have the columns in your query indexed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back