Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to set up web server with Linksys WRT54G w/Apache

Status
Not open for further replies.

yelgnits

Technical User
Jun 30, 2004
US
Sigh, I've been on again off again trying to set up a webserver for the past 8 months or so, and it's really starting to agitate me! I have an account at no-ip.com (dynamic DNS). I have a cable connection at 2mbps and I'm running it from a Linksys WRT54G router, and the server itself is set up with Apache. I've tried everything I can think of to get it working: setting up port forwarding on port 80, port 8080, port 8181, setting up a DMZ, completely turning my firewall off, and all of those at the same time (!). Perhaps it has nothing to do with the network at all, but that's what I'm assuming it is, because if I go to my IP address (right now I can see what I set up on my server, but people outside of my network can't. So I think there's a possibility I have something configured wrong in Apache, but it's probably something to do with my network. Anybody have any ideas...? I've spent FOREVER on this but I'm just not smart enough to get it working :) ...sooooo...any help would be greatly appreaciated. Thank you SO MUCH, Cody

First of all, does your cable modem block services at thos ports? Cox here in Vegas blocks any traffic comming in on most regular service ports such as 21, 25, and 80 to prevent people from running ftp, mail, and web servers without paying for at least a SOHO package. If that is the case, then you will have to try a non standard port. If you do that, then any web browser will have to be redirected to that port to get to your website. I think 8181 should work. In that case, Set your apache server to a static IP (Lets say 192.168.1.50) and lisening on port 8181. Then set the default gateway on your Apache server to the wrt54g (Lets say 192.168.1.1) Then set forwarding on your linksys to 192.168.1.50 port 8181 TCP. Then you should be able to point your browser at and that should do it. Good Luck,

-Todd

Learn Windows 2003 Server Videos:

Todd above has excellent advice. But call no-ip.com. Several of the dyndns folks were blocking WRT54G because of firmeware problems that lead to a pounding of their servers.

You likely need:

. a firmware upgrade, for which there are lots of choices fortunately;
. a call to no-ip.com to assure them you will not sin again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back