Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

trying to set up remote access for NAS... problem with port forwarding

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingnero

Technical User
Nov 14, 2011
BE
This is currently my set-up:
a TP-link TD-W8910G aDSL modem+router which connects to the internet,
- my desktop PC and
- an Iomega ix2-200 NAS device,
both hardwired to the modem/router,
and a laptop and smartphone using the wireless signal from the modem/router.

DHCP enabled, DMZ disabled.

I try to set-up remote access and personal cloud for the Iomega NAS.

I get the next error message:
either UPNP is disabled (which it isn't, I tried both) or I have a problem with port mapping (which is the more likely cause).
Your network router could not be configured to enable or disable remote access. This can occur when your router does not have UPnP enabled or the required port cannot be opened or closed.

I tried googling but didn't find anything specific enough to help me out.

I tried some settings I found on the web but they didn't work.
Could someone please help me out here, or point me towards a pdf or link where this is explained in detail?

this is what I've done:
On the router, under the NAT tab, I've got both virtual servers and port triggering options.
I tried adding, under virtual servers, the ports 20-21; 80; 443; 6881-6999 as per this link, but it gave an error message about port 80 already being in use.
It automatically suggests you to use port 8080 instead.

This screenshot shows my current configuration, but I did removed the line with port 80.

I do have admin access to my modem/router, and the input I did is saved into the modem/router, however when trying an online port checker (PortForwardPortChecker), it still says my modem can be pinged, but the ports are closed ot not reachable.

any help much appreciated,
I'm not very experienced when it comes to setting up these kinds of things, normally (@ work) there are dedicated people who are doing everything network-related... (This is about my home LAN/WAN).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back