Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to see the Permissions (ACL) of a Folder or File 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

resolvco

IS-IT--Management
Feb 17, 2004
US
I've downloaded SetACL but the thing is to cryptic. Another good COM Object was NTSEC but they want $999 so....

All I'm trying to do is get a VBscript that will prompt a person for a \\server\drive\folder and maybe a file and then just list the permissions. The only way so far is to run a cmd file from WSHell.run. Any other ideas would be a Huge Help

Resolvco,

you can search for cacls.exe or xcacls.exe to do it.
But if you realy want to script it check out faq329-5734 .
The only downside to this script is that you neer to have ADsSecurity.DLL registered.

Hope this gets you going...

Please tell me if I'm wrong I like to learn from my mistakes...

K0b3
I can't figure out how to set permissions to "modify" for the "Authenticated users" group using the script in FAQ329-5734. Could you provide a couple of examples please?
jazzfan.

Try to determine the SID for the "Authenticated users" group and use that one instead of the user credentials in the command line to start the script.

Don't know for sure if it will work, but worth a shot...

Please tell me if I'm wrong I like to learn from my mistakes...

Great Script, Thanks! Appreciate your efforts.

K0b3
Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I finally found the SID for Authenticated Users (S-1-5-11) and that worked. The script also appears to work when Authenticated Users is enclosed in Quotes " "
Thanks again
jazzfan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back