Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to Reduce Used Space on My Windows 10 C Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsquared18

Technical User
Jun 10, 2001
US
Hello,

I have the latest iteration of Windows 10 on my laptop computer. "Properties" for Local Disc C shows a capacity of 567 GB. The free space is just under one GB. Naturally, I want to reduce the amount of used space.

Most of my files are in my Dropbox account, synced to my laptop and other devices. My Dropbox account has two TBs of space.

I've tried several methods to increase the free space on the C drive, as indicated by what shows up in "Properties" for that drive.

For example, I've simply deleted files and removed them from the Recycle bin.

I've used Dropbox's "Selective Unsync" to unsync folders on the laptop.

I've moved folders from Dropbox into OneDrive with "Save space and download files to use them" selected, making them no longer visible in File Explorer and (supposedly) no longer taking up space on the C drive (I thought).

Sometimes when I take one of the above actions, the C-Drive Properties will temporarily show an increase in free space. But shortly thereafter, the amount will return to a bit below one GB.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bill

Hi,

This forum is forum68, for questions about Office applications like Excel or Word.

You probably need forum779.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

Plz delete this thread.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

You should try some cleaning software like Tuneup utilities or CCleaner.
Hope it will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back