Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to redirect a users folder to another internal drive??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobMCT

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2000
US
Hi all,
A friend of mine has an HP Elite with a 256GB SSD as his C: drive and a 2TB HDD as his E: drive. He religiously keeps all his bulky files on the E: drive.

However, recently his Win 10 is showing the message that C: drive is low on space (< 4GB out of the 256GB).

My thought is to redirect his C:\user\abc (user login name) to the E: drive or more correctly moving the entire \users\abc folder to the E: drive then mounting that folder at the C:\user\abc location. In theory that should cause the OS to reference the linked location for everything relative to the \users\abc access.

In preparation I've logged in a the administrator, copied the entire c:\user\abc folder to E:\abc and I now need to delete the original \user\abc folder then mount the relocated one to the original location.

I've tried multiple methods to accomplish this but have had no success.

So I thought I would post here to hopefully solicit some expert guidance.

Any suggestions, advise, pointers greatly appreciated.

Thank you
[ponder]

Something like this?

Capture_wc8ofv.png

Capture2_smgsfg.png

ACSS - SME
General Geek

You beat me to it, Monkey...

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Thanks Hairless-monkey,

But my windows 10 as admin does not show the Location buttons. I haven't been able to determine why yet.

Before moving things I'd try running Disk Cleanup as administrator (right-click and run as admin). You'd be amazed at the huge amount of space it can recover.

Nelviticus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back