Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to recover from XP crash!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbottoms

IS-IT--Management
Feb 21, 2003
US
I have a machine that came pre-installed with XP Home and it has crashed. I have the restore cd's that came with the system but they do not give me an option to repair the current installation, just to retore it to how it came out of the box. Also, I have tried to use the repair console but it does not ask which installation to log onto or ask for a password, just goes to a command prompt. I wanted to use the information I found here to recover from this crash but it won't let me get that far. It's like Windows is not even there. Any ideas?

Some details about how its crashed (what happened, what happens now when you try to start machine, etc) & your hardware setup would be useful. Do you mean recovery console when you say repair console? How are you starting this? (have you got the 6 XP boot floppy set? Is it on the boot menu).

I have an E-machines W1500 with an Amd Athlon 1700+ with 640mb of RAM. It crashed after my son downloaded a game from the net and it locked up and had to be shut down hot and now it just tries to reboot over and over after flashing a quick blue screen. It will not boot into safe mode or using last known good config. Yes, I meant recovery console, sorry. I have got to this using the 6 floppies and by using another person's reinstallation cd from Dell. I could not get into it using my restore cd.

when you get to the screen where you select the recovery console, carry on as if you were installing windows - on a later screen (2 or 3 I can't quite remember), the install will announce it has found an existing installation, and will ask you if you want to repair it - select this option, and go get a drink - it will reinstall, with whatever options you had previously

after it has finished this (30-60 mins) you will hopefully get a working system back

madonnac - My restore disks don't give me that option, only to restore. I also used a friends re-installation cd that came with her Dell and I don't get that option either, it's like these disks are not detecting the current install. I haven't been able to come accross an original XP CD, I don't know if that would work or not.

if you can get an original XP cd, my idea should work - sorry that emachines only has a recovery option :-(

mbottoms - can you run chkdsk from recovery console?

wolluf - I haven't tried that. I tried to follow some instructions which started with making a temporary directory using the recovery console and it told me access was denied. Should and try that? I woul do it now but the system is at home and I'm at work for 20 more minutes.

I'd run chkdsk first (note - if you have problem running it in recovery console, you could install you drive as slave in another XP machine & run chkdsk from that machine's o/s - if you've access to another machine of course) - it has 'cured' my daughter's machine on several occasions when she has 'downloaded something/been in some online game', machine has rebooted & won't load XP (blue screens etc).

wolluf - THANKS! I ran chkdsk from within the recovery console and after rebooting windows fired right up!

Thanks to all for their advice on this problem, it is greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back