Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to programmatically select Navigation Options in Access Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheresAlwaysAWay

Programmer
Mar 15, 2016
US
I'm in a multi-user environment, split db, running 2007 and 2013 versions. I want to limit the access of some users to see forms only, while others will have access to all objects. I've looked at just turning off Navigation Pane but I'd prefer to have it display forms only. Opening Access Options, under the checkbox for Display Navigation Pane is a button, Navigation Options. Within that the objects visible can be controlled, with queries, tables, and the like selected or deselected.

I can programmatically control the entire navigation pane, but haven't been able to figure how I can control which objects are visible. Any clues from the wizards out there?

As always, thanks in advance for your help.

[tt]DoCmd.NavigateTo[/tt], [tt]DoCmd.SetDisplayedCategories[/tt] and [tt]DoCmd.LockNavigationPane[/tt] allow customization of navigation pane behaviour.

combo

Awesome! Thank you very much!

My experience has shown that the LockNavigationPane command doesn't really lock it in the sense I would expect. It allows objects to be seen and tables to be opened and contents viewed, but does not allow deletion.

Can you provide me with the correct syntax to turn off the view of tables, for example? That would be extremely helpful.

Seems that access has some undocumented constants:
[pre]DoCmd.SetDisplayedCategories False, "acNavigationCategoryCreatedDate"[/pre]
manages visibility of Created Date category. It is easier to use access macros to manage categories visibility, all are available from the drop-down list.
You may create custom categories for groups of users, hide or show them depending on user, use NavigateTo and LockNavigationPane to prevent from changes.
Maybe custom menu form with hidden navigation pane is simpler alternative.

combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back