Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to print out a B&W Photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

emoneyeasy

Vendor
Jan 12, 2002
US
Hello, I'm trying to print out a B&W photo from my camera, and with Adobe I added some words to it. It looks great on my computer but when I print it's really grainy. I've played around and I have the highest quality set on everything.

It's BJC-250 printer, and I'm using photo paper, and I've tried both color and B&W Ink.
Any suggestions?

When you say Black and White do you mean exactly that or do you mean grayscale?

To change an image to grayscale simply goto:
IMAGE|MODE|GRAYSCALE then a dialog will appear saying "Dicard color information?" say yes to that. If your image is in layers and you wish to keep them in layers antoerh dialog box will appear saying "Do you want to flatten the layers?", click NO.

Never let your printer handle the conversion from color to grayscale always use Photoshop to change the colors first then print in grayscale.

Hope this helps! NATE
spyderix.gif

yeah I did gray scale in Adobe, I wonder if my printer is bad and thats why it's so grainy, I just wish it would be as sharp on the photo paper as it is on the computer, the highest DPI I get is 360 maybe I need a better printer?

Maybe you do need a new one. 360 DPI is not very high.

But...

When was the last time you cleaned your printer. The rollers and everything. That might solver some of the problem.

BTW - What resolutions are you trying to print this at and what size do you want to print it at? NATE
spyderix.gif

First thank you so much for your help,

I want to print either 3in by 5in or 4in by 6in the resolution is 360 by 270 pixels in Adobe but I thought when I was printing it it was over a 1000, maybe not.

When you download from your camera save the file as TIFF. Then open it and size it, use LZW compression the keep the file size down (no detail will be lost). Your want a resolution of about 300 or so for a good print, overall resolution not pixel size. When you resize if you check Resample Image the resolution will stay the same (no telling what it will be). If you are going to make the foto smaller and the resolution is low (below 300), un-check Resample Image. Be sure there are no points (.) in the resolution number. When you get it the size you want save it. Then you can save another version as JPEG if you want to e-mail or what not.

Any resolution below 150 isn't going to look too good in a print, espically if the print is rather large. With 300 you can easily go to 8x10.

Hi,

I'm assuming you have a digital camera. What resolution are you taking the pictures with? Beacause if you are using a digital camera and then export them to your computer at 360 DPI, then the that's your highest DPI you can print with.

It will all depend on the output of the camera. You should be using the highest resolution you can to ensure you can print out big sizes pictures. Read my FAQ on printing resolutions FAQ229-1854. Look at the 3 different formulas and the 4 examples.

It really depends on how many pixels your camera will output. And I think the grainyness you see is pixelation expecially printing in grayscale.

In the future, take pictures at the highest resolution you can.

Can you tell me the maximum # of pixels it outputs? Then I can tell you your options.

Hope this helps! NATE
spyderix.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back