Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

trying to output wav sound through voice modem to phone line

Status
Not open for further replies.

skel924

Technical User
Jun 29, 2002
US
i have an answering system for my computer, and it regularly opens the port on the modem to play and record .WAV files. i have set up the modem with the TAD connector to my sound card, and the speaker phone function works great (when using a microphone plugged into the sound card). what i am TRYING to do is record the conversation from the modem (that part i have done..) and also play live wav files, mp3 music, whatever, through the modem to the phone line. This part has been a problem because the only way i can output audio onto the phone line is through a microphone connected the the microphone port on the modem or the sound card. I have not been able to have the source of the audio come from the computer itself, even after messing around with the record and playback levels on the computer volume control. I have tried connecting the speaker output on the sound card right to the microphone on the modem, and this has worked only the volume is extremely low.

the only possible solution i can think of is open a connection similiar to the one the answering system software opens (before it plays the WAV greeting). in my modem log, there are a bunch of AT commands and responses that i might be able to use, but i have no idea what to do with the commands, where to enter them, which to enter, etc. i have absolutely no idea where to look for more information on this subject. i have tried the sound blaster website, there is no infomation on my modem at all, i have tried searching "wav over voice modem" etc, but to no avail. If no one has an answer, can someone direct me where I might find some information on this? my audio setup is below, ANY information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. thank you

--sound card is sound blaster LIVE! with two speaker outputs, line in, mic in,.. internal connectors: TAD AUX CDROM etc
--modem is creative modem blaster FLASH56 PCI Di5630-4 w/ caller id, voice/data/fax
--modem is connected to sound card by TAD cable, normal speaker phone works great.

Playing WAV files through a voice modem is generally not supported directly. You will have to convert the WAV file to a format that is compatible with your modem's supported companding (bits and speed).

However, it sounds to me as if you don't want to write software to do this, you just want to use your existing TAD software to do it. If so, you may want to try connecting the LINE port from your sound card to the modem where your MIC is normally connected (if that is your MIC port on your sound card, just loop from LINE to MIC).

You should be able to play any sound through your sound card and have it sent out the modem.

Leave your email if you would like to talk further off-list. I don't visit here frequently.

pansophic

Dear sir,
In this issue, play wav through modem.
I am very interested in this issue.
if someone can do me the favor, please send me a short message, I will discuss to you in this issue.
minfu889@hotmail.com
David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back