Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to make my own web database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goat23

Technical User
Jul 22, 2001
US
I've been making static web pages for about seven years now. However, I wish to expand my knowledge to interactive web sites with mysql databases and php programming. With my very limited ability in both these fields I was hopeing someone could help me out with my endevors. Some of the things I'm wishing to learn are Join Forms, Shopping Carts, Web Forums, etc...

Someone else runs my severs, so where would I set up mysql? Once I set it up then what?

Thanks in advance to anyone who attempts my questions?

If your site is being hosted somewhere, you probably have no ability to install software. I recommend that you ask your hosting provider if a database server is available to you, and if so, how to access it.

In PHP, the action of fetching data form a database takes four stages:
1. Connecting to a database server.
2. Optionally selecting which database on the server to use.
3. Handing a SQL query to the database server.
4. Fetching the returned data.

These steps are described in the PHP online manual ( in example code at the following specific page of that site:
I also recommend that you become familiar with the layout of the online manual, and take a look at the tutorial that is built into the manual.

There is also a PHP forum in Tek-Tips where you can post questions.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions: TANSTAAFL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back