Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to make a huge VSS database smaller

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryDub

IS-IT--Management
Apr 5, 2001
US
I have a huge VSS DB (21.2 GB! Not my fault, really). I'd used a method to copy the whole thing to another VSS server so that I could delete all projects except one. Even though I deleted the projects, the data files corresponding to the old (deleted) projects didn't disappear, so the DB appears to be the same size as before. I'm assuming that this is not normal. Anyone have a clue about how to get rid of the offending data files (I ran Analyze -F to no avail). Note that I couldn't use the archive/restore method to copy since the current DB has some corruption. Thanks.

First of all you I would like to ask you if you had checked the option of destroying permanently whenever you deleted the projects. That will ensure that everytime you delete projects, those projects are properly purged from the database.

My second thought on your database size reduction is, run the analyze tool on your database. That must get rid of all the deleted files if you did not do what I say before.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back