Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to load Win7 on a new drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwidner

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
US
Hello all. I hope this is the right forum.

I have a new hard drive which I have formatted. I want to install Windows-7 from a legal CD (we have a multiple install license).

I cannot install it while the HD is in a USB drive enclosure. Would I have to remove my current drive, put the new blank drive in and boot from the CD to install, or is there another way?

Thanks!

m.

When you boot from the Windows 7 DVD/CD does it see the target drive?

When you get to the screen titled "Where do you want to install Windows?", have a click on the link "Drive Options (Advanced)" and see what that path offers you.

For details have a look at this.

Microsoft's Windows 7 Ultimate Fresh/clean Install Guide step by step

Is the Bios recognizing your "HD in a USB drive enclosure"? If the Bios settings are incorrect, or if it can't recognize any drive then Windows hasn't much of a hope of seeing it either.

I cannot install it while the HD is in a USB drive enclosure.
W7 out of the box does not allow this... the reason for it lie in the way Windows sees USB devices, the drivers are loaded too late in the BOOT process for them to work...
Would I have to remove my current drive, put the new blank drive in and boot from the CD to install
that is the way it is supposed to work...
, or is there another way?
none that I am aware of...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Irrespective of whether the drive is formatted or not, and despite the fact that the BIOS may see the drive as a bootable option, W-7 doesn't allow it. This is the official message:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. Setup does not support configuration of or installation to disks connected through a USB or IEEE 1394 port."

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back