Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying To Isolate Purgeable Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

superred

MIS
May 21, 2002
GB
Having checked the volumes on my server I have discovered thatthere is a lot of purgeable space that I can reclaim.
Unfortunately I am unable to find where this is!!!
I have gone through all of the directories within the volume and actually reclaimed a certain amount but there seems to be a large amount hiding somewhere.
Is there any easy way or utility that displays exactly where the purgeable space is?
I would like to reclaim extra space for my users

Why don't you just run a full purge of the volume? Go into Network Neighbourhood, into the server, right click on the volume and select Purge. Purge all Subdirectories and you should be on a winner. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Cheers M8...worked a treat although SYS volume was a little temperamental and still claims it has 4.7Gb purgeable space.
Managed to free 10.3 gb on all volumes

I hope you realise that space was available all the time? Purgeable only means space that has been written to and then the data "deleted" but not wiped. Like in the Windows recycle bin. In Netware it will use true free space if it has any, but if it runs out it will write in the purgeable space. It uses the oldest purgeable space out there so that if a salvage is needed you can get to the latest deleted files. It stays purgeable so you can restore deleted files, the space is available if neeeded.

In effect the only thing you did was defeat your ability to salvage deleted files. [shadessad]

JON

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back