Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to install an IDE PCI Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

scosh

Technical User
Jun 8, 2007
US
I've been trying to install an IDE PCI Controller because I believe the IDE Controller on the Motherboard is not functioning. I'm only trying to use 1 HD with it and want to make that my Master HD. I have W2K OS on the HD drive and have it connected to the new IDE PCI card and have the card connected to a PCI slot. I've followed the directions as best I can and when it asks to choose the type of device to be added, only one device is displayed, I press enter to select it and the following error appears:

File \pnp680.sys caused an unexpected error (4109) at line 1211 in D:nt\private\ntos\boot\setup\oemdisk.c."

From what I could find, putting the card in a different PCI slot may fix this.

Joey
A+, Network+, MCP

OK, let's straighten this out. You think the IDE controller is bad, right? You insert the card in the PCI slot, and connect the HDD, right?

I've followed the directions as best I can and when it asks to choose the type of device to be added, only one device is displayed, I press enter to select it and the following error appears:

What is "it"?

You should not expect Windows to boot to the new device as it knows the IDE controller information of the previous install, not the new card.

I'm not 100% sure, as I have never done this exact procedure, but if it was a SATA PCI card I would have to supply the F6 drivers at install or repair install. At any rate, I would try a repair installation of Win2K by booting to Windows CD and see if Windows can see the drive. You might have to integrate the card drivers at F6, one clue would ne a "MakeDisk" file on the PCI card's CD.

Tony

Hi, "it" is the menu item that I choose that appears on the screen to install the drivers from the floppy.

OK, then you will need to boot to Windows CD, choose the second repair option (not the recovery console) and supply the drivers via the "press F6 to install third-party drivers" then insert the floppy when Windows ask for it, then press Enter. Please note you will probably need to update the OS after this operation.

It is always best to do a clean install once you've recovered your data.

Tony

I would be curious if inactivating the on-board controller would make a difference. Basic recognition would be for the 1st IDE to be assigned to the on-board and the 2nd IDE to be the expansion. But the assignments would change if the on-board was no longer there.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back