Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to get back into Mitel job

Status
Not open for further replies.

AintgottaClue

Technical User
Apr 10, 2007
GB
Hi guys, I'm new on this site, just found it by accident and it seems pretty cool.I used to do a bit of Mitel engineering about 7 or 8 years ago and I've managed to land a job interview as a Mitel eng in 2 days time.I live in the UK and after doing a bit of contracting on OPS & Mtce of sx2000 lights I ended up out of work.I have been sitting in a portakabin minding a railway crossing for nearly 5 years trying to get back into phone systems.OK they let me go home each day or night (shifts) but I finally chucked the job to concentrate on getting back into pbx work.So now I feel like a total beginner so I've got lots of questions that I never could get answered before.
Can anyone tell me what is the latest software release for Mitel sx2000 is it M stream or higher?
What is a COV trunk used for?
What is an E&M trunk used for (Earth & Mark ???)
What is the difference between a Circuit, a Trunk a Line and a Channel.
Are DBMS data saves still done to tapes or is it all CD's now?
What are the latest improvements to the SX2000 since 1998?
What handsets are now used on the sx2000 superset 4 range ?
I actually did the Mitel CDE course in 1994.
I know it seems a bit of a long shot but if I dont get this job I'm screwed.!!
Thanks for any help guys.!!!

Can anyone tell me what is the latest software release for Mitel sx2000 is it M stream or higher?
SX2000 is at LW 34 - no longer alphabetical they're numeric now.

What is a COV trunk used for?
Control Over Voice and it's not a trunk, it's a Superset4 circuit card - very out of date

What is an E&M trunk used for (Earth & Mark ???)
Ear & Mouth/Earth & Mark trunk, usually for tie lines betwen PBX's and paging

What is the difference between a Circuit, a Trunk a Line and a Channel.
Damn - I haven't seen this question in awhile. I'd say that circuits are internal to the PBX, trunks are public utility provided access points to the PSTN, a line is a connection to a device on the PBX and channels are data paths

Are DBMS data saves still done to tapes or is it all CD's now?
They're saved to an RSD (Removable Storage Device)

What are the latest improvements to the SX2000 since 1998?
Wow, 9 years - we're into VOIP now

What handsets are now used on the sx2000 superset 4 range
4001's are manufacturer discontinued, 4015's, 4025's and I understand that the 4150 is making a comeback (touch screen display)

Marty

Out of my mind - back in 5 minutes -

Thanks Marty I appreciate your info. I'm hoping to get some formal training on IP3300 if I get the job, but the sx2000 is still non IP isn't it? Any training course here is just a stupid price like $6000 for the Installation and Mtce crse or $4000 for the 3300IP .

Oh boy, It's all going to IP. Chears.
Take a look at Routers, Ehernet Switches, VLAN, WAN, LAN, Wireless, PoE, QoS, OSI model, DiffServ, TFTP, NTP, XML, SIP, H323, IP, TCP, UDP, RTP, RTCP, G.711, G729, G723, H.264, H.263, <bunch of other stuff>

4150's are not being brought back.

4015/4025s will be MD again within the next two years. They are on special manufacture, so they are not in the regular manufacturing schedule.

Responding back to TheMitelGuy - I spoke with my Mitel sales rep on Tuesday (I'm a platinum account) and he informed me that the 4150's are returning next year - don't know if they'll be available in all markets. They'll have a larger screen too.

4015/4025 we're MD? When was this? Mitel will continue to support the SX2000 for a long time - lot of product out there.

Out of my mind - back in 5 minutes -

Don't know who your sales rep is, but s/he must not work for Mitel. No, the 4150's will not be redesigned or brought back into production... at least nothing that has passed by our desks!

4015's were MD last year. They returned to make the 4015/4025s both available. They are constantly on the chopping block. There has not been any manufactured in some time as the stock justifies the sales quantity. They are on a manufacutre/requirement, meaning they are not part of the regular manufacturing schedule.

Yes, the SX-2000 will be supported for at least 3 more years. At that time US law comes into play where a seven year "stock availability law" comes into play. So you've technically got 10 more years.

Oh wait, I'm wondering if your talking about the new touch display phone that is coming out in Q2 of 2008? It will be a full display, colour touch display phone that is IP ONLY!

Ok thanks for the input , The interview went ok I've just gotta wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back