Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to get a report element to update from another table

Status
Not open for further replies.

aroostook

IS-IT--Management
Jun 15, 2005
US
I hope the subject is descriptive enough...

Anyway, here's the problem. I have a text box element on a report that is associated with one table. I need it to display results based off of a value in that table that relates to a second table.

Example: I have the text box currently displaying data from [Table1]![EmployeeID]. I want it to display [Table2]![FirstName] & [Table2]![LastName] where the data from Table1 is currently showing. So instead of showing "14", it shows "Howard Jones." How do I do this?

Stupidly simple, probably, but I'm striking out finding the solution.

Thanks.

Either join table 2 in the record source
or change text box to combobox
2 coulmns
column witdh = 0";3"

row source ==
Select EmployeeID,[FirstName] & " " &[LastName]
from table2

You can't use a SQL statement as a control source. The best solution is to simply include both tables in the record source. Join them on the Primary and Foreign key fields.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

...or I could just ditch the report the other guy made and make one from scratch. ;) Oh, and the combobox thing was the bees knees. Yes, I said "bees knees." No, I'm not 73.

Thanks, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back