Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to get a dos prompt

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksbigfoot

Programmer
Apr 15, 2002
CA
I just purchased a IBM 4000R server with Dual 8GB SCSI harddrives, they are low level formatted.
I think they might of been used for a LINUX server before.
I want to load Windows 2000 Server onto it, but I can't even get to a DOS prompt.
Can someone point me in the right direction to what needs to be done to format the harddrives to NTFS format.
This is my first time at trying this.
Thanks

if the machine is bootable from the cd drive,,, then insert the first windows server cd,, and turn on the machine,, it should boot to the cd,, and reformat the drive(s),, and install w2k server. If it is not bootable,, then go into the bios,, and see if you can change it to boot from CD.

Machine is bootable from cd drive, but drives need to be formatted. I can't install anything if they are not formatted. Is there software you know of that I can run that will format the SCSI drives or is there special software to manage SCSI drives?
Thanks

have you tried,, booting from the server cd, because in w2k, and xp,, it automatically formats the drive..

It will boot from the Windows 2003 server CD, but when it comes time to write to the C Drive, it errors out.

In Windows 2000 Server CD, it brings up a warning that there are no available harddrives in the system.

The built in Adaptec SCSI controller verifies that the harddrives are there.

If you have a SCSI adapter, which it sounds like you do, then you need to press F6 when booting the windows server cdrom and supply the RAID controller drivers. Up can extract the drivers from the IBM ServRAID cdrom.

HTH - Stiddy

You'll need to manually add the driver for the 4000R SCSI controller during boot of the installation. You can download it from IBM's Support site. You can format the HDDs during install. Low-Level Format means the HDDs have been stripped of any previous data and the MBR. To an OS, they look like brand new HDDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back