Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to finure out how this data it's enter automatically 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelana

Technical User
Nov 24, 2006
CA
Hi there!

I am having problems with this lotus approch application.
I am trying to find out how this data it is being generated by the system...I need to be able to stop that I been able to manipulate this particular field manually.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

There are several possible sources of "generated data".

1) Field definitions can contain default data or formulas that fill in fields. These definitions can also keep you from entering a value that is not "ok" according to validation rules.

2) A macro or script can SET a fild to a value.

3) A field can be set to only allow a selection from a list of values and not allow others to be entered.

Changing any of these things will require you to have Design privileges so that you can look at field definitions, macros, and field list definitions.

Sue Sloan

Thank you for replying Sue.

Your reply is very helpful.
I know that this database it was created with previous lotus approach 3.0. I think that now that the database was converted to Lotus Approach 9.7 there were macros that probably were not converted properly, however you are right by saying that this data being generated by a script. I Discovered this by breaking my head over and over (that's why I don't have much hair left!).
I have tried to deleted this script to see if I am able to manipulate this field manually and it works some how.
I am afraid that this is causing other areas.
My biggest problem with this field is/was that by entering data in ine field automatically was giving a number in another field wich I don't want because now it needs some correction or been able to change it. When I was tring to go into the field to manipulate it always back to whatever it was there or creating a secuence #.
I hope that you understand all this..

Hasta la vista

1) If the database was created with Approach 3.0, there will not be any scripts in it unless you added some after conversion to 9.7.

2) The proper way to convert a version 3.0 database is to first use Approach "97" to fix whatever does not work, then convert to 9.7 at that point. Most things will convert properly if you do it in that order.

3) NEVER delete a script or macro. That will mess up other macros and possibly corrupt the APR file. You can remove the link to the field by opening the properties dialog for the field, go to the Macros page, then blank out the macro name shown there.

Sue Sloan

Thanks again.
I do understand about breaking the link. but the thing is that when I look at the particular field there is no macro attached to it..only by going into the script editor I can see what is doing..
I do believe that this script was not written, I do believe that it was created with some kind of macros.
I have tried to cut the script and I am able to manipulate the field that is being generated..I am a bot confused on this...it is been driving bananas!!
It is possible for you to have a look at the database?
thanks again for your time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back