Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

trying to extend a database segment 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 26, 2002
US
I am new to sybase, i am running ver 12.5 on hpux 11.0 (64bit). I have a database called kdb with 3 segments, kdbdata1, kdbindex1, and kdblog1. My problem is that kdbdata1 is down to 10% left, it is 1 gig currently and it is on a 17 gig harddrive. I need to know how to extend kdbdata1 2 more gig.
any help would be appreciated alot
thanking you in advance

hello,

need more info:

what is the database size?
how much is for data?
how much is for log?
how many devices do you have?
how do you assign the segments to the devices?

without this information i am not sure whether or not you need to run a disk init or sp_extendsegment...

q.

database size is setup as
kdbdata1 1 gig, down to 198m available
kdbindex1 1 gig, down to 762m available
kdblog1 1 gig, flexable due to transaction log be purged

i am not sure how to tell about devices, each section above is on a 17gig drive raw partition, all by themself.

anything else you would have to tell me how to find out info, i am a unix admin, and have no clue about sybase..
sorry..but i really apreciate the help..

hello,

run an sp_helpsegment and sp_helpdevice and capture all the data...

the sp_helpsegment will give you all the segments you have and the sp_helpdevice will give you all the devices you are using...

we need to find out if you get a similar output when you run sp_helpsegment:

1> sp_helpsegment
2> go
segment name status
------- ------------------------------ ------
0 system 0
1 default 1
2 logsegment 0
(return status = 0)

q.

If I understand correctly, you're wondering how to increase the size of the data device. This isn't exactly what you do. What I'd suggest is that your read the section in the Admin Guide on how storage is handled.

But, the short answer is you need to do a DISK INIT command to make another chunk of space from your hard to drive available to Sybase (use a raw partition!). Next do ALTER DATABASE to make some/all of the new device's space available to the DB in question.

The Admin Guide is available on line on the Sybase web site:
Navigate to Support then to Product Manuals.

HTH,

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back