Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to extend a 9-pin cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

mec1988

Technical User
May 11, 2011
CA
Hey everybody,

At my office, we are moving computers and configurations around. The computer that deals with our alarm systems has to move. The alarm system is hardwired to a specific location coming from the wall and is connected to the PC via a 9-pin cable. That specific cable can't be moved, but we have to find a way to connect it to a computer that will be about 30 feet away now. I've ordered a 50 foot DB9 9 pin serial extension cable, but will this work? The male end will fit into the female, but the screws normally used to secure the cable into the PC will be facing each other. I'm thinking that as long as I find a way to fasten them together so they don't separate, this should be okay. Am I wrong? Or is there a better way? Thanks for any help!

There is no way to say for certain, at least without more information. The first consideration will be to verify that the pin out remains 1 to 1 (i.e. each pin goes to the right location without any swapping). The second thing, and more likely to be a problem is the signal quality versus conductor length. Some signal specs set the maximum length, some do not. Some cables are designed for longer transmission like twisted pair with differential signalling, while others such as RS-232 are not. Physically, if all works I am sure you can find a way to secure the cables even if it is tie wraps and tape. You will also need to monitor carefully for increased errors and drop outs.

My advice: know your limitations.

Time to hire a professional vs. screwing it up??? Think long and hard before cutting any cables.

I can't help much with the electrical side, but on the mechanical side, to join the two cables together, you need a "threaded standoff" examples . I'm pretty sure it is 4-40 thread, and that the slimmer .187" on that page would be better. You'll have to measure for the length - it has been ages, but the one time I did this, I had to file the pieces to length.

I was going to suggest these. I keep a few of them in my computer tool kit, but the store where I used to by them went out of business. Nice link.

Awesome, thanks for all the tips guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back