Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to delete duplicates 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vba317

Programmer
Mar 5, 2009
US
I am trying to write a delete query without much luck. I have three fields of interest in this table. The first field is called AID and the second field is called EncID and the third is called variance. What I am trying to delete if if the number in the AID equals each other, the number in EncID equals each other and the variance is 0 than delete both records. I have written a select query which does select the records I want to delete currently it selects 13 records. When I convert the query to a delete query it deleted 0 records.

Any help is appreciated.

Tom

Select Query that works
Code:
SELECT tbl_Errors.AID AS [AID Field], Count(tbl_Errors.AID) AS CountOfAID, tbl_Errors.EncID AS [ENCID Field], Count(tbl_Errors.EncID) AS CountOfEncID, Sum(tbl_Errors.Variance) AS SumOfVariance
FROM tbl_Errors
GROUP BY tbl_Errors.AID, tbl_Errors.EncID
HAVING (((Count(tbl_Errors.AID))>1) AND ((Count(tbl_Errors.EncID))>1) AND ((Sum(tbl_Errors.Variance))=0));

The Delete Query that does not work

Code:
DELETE tbl_Errors.AID AS [AID Field], tbl_Errors.AID, tbl_Errors.EncID AS [ENCID Field], tbl_Errors.EncID, tbl_Errors.Variance
FROM tbl_Errors
WHERE (((tbl_Errors.AID)>1) AND ((tbl_Errors.EncID)>1) AND ((tbl_Errors.Variance)=0));

Can you get the list of Primary Keys of the records you want to Delete? In some kind of Select statement...

Have fun.

---- Andy

Perhaps this ?
SQL:
DELETE A.*
FROM tbl_Errors A INNER JOIN (
SELECT AID,EncID FROM tbl_Errors GROUP BY AID,EncID HAVING Count(*)>1 AND Sum(Variance)=0
) B ON A.AID=B.AID AND A.EncID=B.EncID

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

PHV,
I tried running your query and I get an error Could not delete from specified tables.

Some clarifications that may or may not help. tbl_Errors is an access table vs an linked table. It has no primary keys or indexes. The fields in question AID and EncID are Long Integer and Variance is a double.

And this ?
SQL:
DELETE * FROM tbl_Errors
WHERE AID & '_' & EncID IN (
SELECT AID & '_' & EncID FROM tbl_Errors GROUP BY AID,EncID HAVING Count(*)>1 AND Sum(Variance)=0
)

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back