Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TRYING TO CREATE A W98SE PARTITION

Status
Not open for further replies.

albec

Technical User
Mar 5, 2002
US
I have a Win XP Home system, my old system was Win98SE.

I have scavenged the hard drive from the old system and installed it into my new computer. I have run FDISK and attempted to create a W98SE partition on the primary and a WXP partition on the secondary.

8gb C: MASTER IDE 0
40gb D: SLAVE IDE 0
CDROM E: MASTER IDE 1

I’ve installed W98SE to C: an WXP to the D:.

WXP performs correctly, I am having a great deal of difficulty with W98SE.

Initially, the set-up CDROM was copied to the 8gb hard drive. Not only did it take a long time to set-up, once loaded it ran very slowly. Start-up took ages, 15 minutes or more. I went into MSCONFIG and stopped some unnecessary programs. Still the same. I’ve even disconnected the 40gb drive, still no improvement.

I decided to try and install W98 how I consider, conventionally, directly from the CD ROM. I believe I was seeing marked improvement in the reload process till after it had done one of its restarts. It then asked for the W98 CDROM. On Browsing I found the CD drive was no longer recognised. To complete the reload I assigned the copy of CDROM on the Harddrive, the machine immediately slowed down.

My questions are. Does anyone know why W98SE is so slow? I assume my CD Drive is too new for W98SE and may have to download the drivers from my installation disk. How do I do this in the middle of the installation process?

Honestly you should install your LESSER OS first then INSTALL XP on the choosen Partition.

Win98SE was not intended to be a Dual Boot OS, where XP is.

In order to control Win98SE from XP you have to install it while running XP from your root drive C: and the best thing for you to do is switch the 40 for the 8 ... install 98 on the 40 [now c:], then reinstall XP on the slave 8 after you are done [not choosing to format], and do a recover.

Do that by running the XP setup from inside your now bootable 98SE.

Terry

Another note:

Partition that 40 Gig drive to a 10 Gig, and you won't be scanning 40 gig everytime. You will later make a 30 or 2 x 15 Gig drives out of the unpartitioned space from XP.

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back