Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

trying to copy config-startup from a 4000m... no CLI 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlchris2

Technical User
Mar 18, 2005
US
I have several Procurves in my network, I decided to take configurations backups of these. The only one's I cant get are from the 4000M. They are all stacked and one of the 4000M is the commander and the rest are members. Regardless how I access (Putty, Telnet, Hyperterm) there is no CLI interface for me to TFTP the startup-config to a TFTP server. I have found a Diag CLI and the Download OS ( which is only for upload

can someone point me in the write direction?

Also is tftp the startup-config sufficient or should I export other config (like flash) as well?

Mark C.

You go into the menu, enter management mode, go to Diagnostics, then choose Command Prompt.

The command you need is:
put <IP_address> CONFIG <remote_file>

Thanks Vince, I was in there, but didn't think "put" was the command. Thanks, that worked out great.

Mark C.

You know, even better than backing it up would be replacing it:)

These old switches had something like an 8MHz processor on them!

Still, the fact you are still using them shows how reliable they are - always loved the old 4000s - they were brilliant. And versatile - you could add 4 fibre ports to them anytime you wanted by just removing an 8-port copper blade - I used to use them as aggregation switches for large subsidiary sites.

LOL, I would love to replace them, but $$$ is tight. So right now I have to go with "if it isnt broke, were not replacing".

For years I thought the Dell switches were the best, even messed with Cisco a little. I've been a solid HP Procurve guy for the last 5 years. Love the performance and reliability and support. Cant be beat in my opinion.

Mark C.

I have another question... I have a spare 4000m and I took a backup of my current production 4000m and attempted to restore the config (testing my recovery process to ensure it works)using the "get" command. When the "spare" switch restarted and goes thru the initializing process it hangs at a prompt with a "white block" or "double tilde" and the cursor just flashes.

what could this be?

I do not have the same modules in the spare switch that I do in the production switch... could this be part of the problem???

also... how can i reset the switch to factory if I cant get into the menu with the problem listed above?

Mark C.

To tell you the truth, I've never been a fan of restoring configs.

I backup configs so I have a reference in case something happens - if I replace a switch, I will reconfigure it manually using the backed-up config as a guide.

That goes for Procurve, Nortel, or Cisco. I just would never trust a config restore process to give me the exact result I want, given that you would almost never be replacing a failed switch by another one that was absolutely identical in every single aspect of its hardware/firmware.

On reliability, subsequent modular switches from Procurve have never been as good for me - the 4100s gave excellent density, but I used to get regular failed modules.
The 5400s I'm using now are giving me failed modules (3 failed from 10 chassis in 12 months) even worse frequency than the 4100s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back