Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to connect two subnets

Status
Not open for further replies.

wibbster

Technical User
Jan 29, 2004
ES
I am trying to connect two different subnets together to share files and network printers. My situation is that I have two ADSL connections of 3 MBs each on Telsey Routers with 4 voice ports each. I have these two Routers and all workstations and printers connected to a D-Link DES-1024D unmanaged switch. My ISP provider sold me a 6 MB connection but when it was installed it was installed as 2 different connections with gateways 192.168.10.1 and 192.168.2.1. So in order to take advantage of the two connections I have configured half of my network on one router and half on the other. Now the question is how do I get all of the devices (they all belong to the same workgroup) to see each other and pass information back and forth. I hope this isn't too much of a newbi question. I have searched and searched on how to connect two routers or two subnets but I can't find antyhing that applies to my situation.

I am not an expert on routing but can think of a couple of scenarios that may wprk for you.

1) Assign a static route on each router to the other subnet. that is on the router 192.168.10.1 define where the subnet 192.168.2.x is (and similarly on the other router for the other subnet).

2) Get a more sophisticated router that will handle 2 adsl lines and balance between them - then all your machines can be on the same subnet. Not sure about the voice lines. Alternatively a router that will route and balance between your existing 2 routers.

Hope this helps

Paul

3) Get your ISP to improve matters/solve this for you. If they promised a 6Mb line, then maybe they can be "pursuaded" to supply a single interface giving you 6Mb (even if it is 2 x 3Mb behind).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back