Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to connect to Wireless network - getting DNS Errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

spyder850

Technical User
Jan 10, 2007
US
Hello again!

Heres my situation: I live next to my wifes mother in law and she has internet and a wireless router, well im trying to connect to her network (she knows im doing it) and she can get online via her wired connection, and her husbands wireless laptop (both machines are XPpro) but i try to connect with Vistas wireless utility and i get 4 bars (a very good connection) and i only get Local Only access.

I make an attempt to Diagnose and Repair this connection, it gives me an error:

Cannot communicate with Primary DNS Server (216.206.92.9)

then further below it gives me the option to Reset the Network Adapter which ive done hundreds of times and all in different locations of the house to see if it made a difference in location...

so anywho, has anyone heard of this problem? imean, i can get on fine here at my house, but its just connecting to hers gives me this trouble.

Please help!
Let me know if more info is needed.
Thanks.

Manually give the machine static IPv4 & gateway information & test.

References:
thread1583-1395450
thread1583-1416837
thread1583-1374950

FWIW, I had 1 machine with these types of problems (I think it's mentioned in one of those threads), and the installation of SP1 did indeed resolve the problem.

If it's your wifes mother-in-law...doesn't that make her your mom?

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Out of interest what IP address are you being given? I would have assumed it would be one of the normal 192.168.*.* addresses and that the DNS would be the Router itself (the router then does a search of the DNS it has, normally the ISP's DNS servers). By rights you shouldn't be linking directly out (I certainly don't on two of the DSL\Cable connections I have).

SimonD.

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Davetoo to answer that amazing technicaly advance question, my wife was married before she and i were married, her husband died in a car accident a long time ago and now we live next door to her (at the time) mother-in-law.

SimonDavies what are you talking about? Rights? that makes absolutely no sense.

Silly question
you don't have an static ip/dns setting on your machine instead of dynamic (or vice versa) do you.?

Regards
Max

How about disabling all those gremlins Vista comes with UAC, firewall [make sure all ticks are off], windows defender. Reboot and see it you can connect.

max8699,
nope i sure don't. one of the first things i made sure of.

GrimR, i sure did disable UAC, and i disabled the firewall this morning before your post actually. still nothing. smah gave me those three links which i did everything down to the tee...and its still acting the same.

he did mention that hopefully Vista SP1 will be able to fix all of this and alot more.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back