Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to connect to my home comp via VNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricPaulson

Programmer
Sep 3, 2003
US
Hi all,

I'm trying to connect to my home computer from my office computer using VNC. Here's what my home network looks like:

Cable Modem --> Linksys WAP Router --> Home Laptop

That's it, just one computer over a wireless connection at home using DHCP.

I installed a VNC server (TightVNC) on my home comp and a client on my office comp. How can I get through my home router to connect to the laptop remotely? I got my laptop's IP address using whatismyip.com, but I couldn't ping that IP from the office. I've heard things about port forwarding and tunnels, but I'm not very knowledgable about the innards of networking. Can someone point me in the right direction? I just want to make that initial connection and I'll worry about the dynamic IP later using something like dyndns.

Much appreciated,
Eric

You need to:

1. Assign a static private IP on your laptop (needed for port forwarding)
2. Forward port 5900 (this is the port that VNC uses) to your laptop's static private IP. See your wireless router user manual for details on forwarding ports
3. Connect via vncviewer.exe (running on your office computer) to your public IP address (which is assigned by your ISP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back