Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

trying to connect to my FTP site

Status
Not open for further replies.

gib999

Programmer
May 18, 2005
CA
I just setup an FTP site in IIS 6.0 on my Windows Server 2003 Web Edition server, and I don't know where to go from here as far as connecting to it remotely. When going through the setup wizard, I set the IP address to all unassigned and the port to 21, chose "isolate users", set my path, and chose read and write. Then, I went to properties, and under security accounts I set the username and password to be used to access this FTP site as well as checked "allow anonymous connections" and unchecked "allow only anonymous connections". Then under Messages, I put a message in each of banner, welcome, exit, and maximum connections.

Now I'm trying to connect to it remotely. I'm using IE and I enter "ftp://68.144.4.236/". It asks me for a username and password. I give it the username and password I set under the "security accounts" tab in IIS, but it doesn't want to connect. It just tells me "Could not login to the FTP server with the username and password specified."

I setup a user account with the same username and password that I'm using to logon, so if it needs an account, it's got one. I made sure the username and password I set under the "security accounts" tab was taken directly from this account by pressing browse, then advanced, then Find Now, then highlighting my new account, then OK. The name that appeared in the "Enter the object name to select" box was <server-name>\<username> all underlined. I hit "check names" just to be safe and nothing changed. Then after hitting OK, I entered the exact same password that I had set for the user account. When trying to logon, I tried entering <username> as well as <server-name>\<username> but neither worked.

I've also still got the Default FTP site that IIS comes with, but it's shut off so this shouldn't interfere. On the other hand, when I have it turned on (and the other FTP site turned off), I have no problem logging in using the default account that Windows Server 2003 comes with (IUSR_<server-name>). Incidentally, this account does not work with the FTP site I'm having trouble with.

What else do I need to do to get my FTP site working?

Check the security rights on the FTP directory itself from an NTFS level.

Can you connect to your website using the Administrator user name and password?

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please contact (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

I'm not sure what you mean by "from an NTFS level" but I right-clicked on the ftp folder for my FTP site, clicked properties, and clicked the security tab. There were 4 user types listed (administrator, creator owner, system, and users). There were 8 types of control (full control, modify, read & write, list folder contents, read, write, and special permissions) For admins, all controls were allowed and could not be changed. For creator owner, no controls were allowed or denied, except special permissions (allowed) which could not be changed. For system, everything was allowed except special permission and none of them could be changed. For users, read & write, list folder contents, read, and special permissions were allowed.

I checked allow full control on creator owner and users which caused all controls to be set to allow. The users stayed that way but the creator owner reverted back to the default (only special permissions being allowed).

I tried connecting again, but I still get the same problem: could not login with username and password specified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back