Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to connect 3 computers through Linksys 5 Port Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

deintinis

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2001
US
I have three machines (2 XP and 1 Win2k). I also have a Panasonic Cable Router and a Linksys 5 port router. I am trying to connect the Win2k to the internet, but keep getting a page cannot be displayed. I shut everything down. Unplugged the cable modem and linksys router. I than hooked up all three machines to the router. Turned on the cable modem than turned on the router. When I booted up, I only got a connection to one of the XP's. When I performed the same steps with just the 2 XP's, both of them are able to connect fine. Why would I not be able to connect all three of these computers?

you should be able to connect them without any problems. i'd first start by logging into the linksys router and checking the DHCP client list. make sure all three show up, if they don't, check the TCP/IP settings on the computers that do not show up and make sure they are obtaining an IP address automatically.

first make sure you are communicating to the router, then the internet.

Linksys does not make a 5 port router. 1 port could be an uplink port. Check the model number, if it starts with BEF or WRT, then that is a router. If it starts with EFA or EZXS then that is a switch or a hub.

kennz is correct, you probably have a HUB. From what you are experiencing, they are exact to what would happen when trying to connect through a hub.

What happens is which ever machine pulls the ip from the cable modem first gets to go on the net, this expalins why after shutting down and rebooting only one machine gets out to the inet.

Check the model number & post back, or look at Windows ICS as another option if you dont want to get involved in buying a Router; but for your own sanity, start saving for a router, ICS can make you nuts. :)

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back