Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to compile Non Ansi C code in Microsoft Visual Studio v.6 C/C++

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo24uk

Programmer
Feb 11, 2007
GB
Hello,

I have inherited a large piece of C code which was written in a non ansi compliant compiler. This compiler allowed variable declaration anywhere within a function body, whereas the Microsoft visual studio version 6 C compiler insists that all variables must be declared at the beginning of a function body. I dont have knowledge or access to the old compiler, so I am trying to get the code compiling in Visual studio C/C++ ver 6. It is a big job to go through the code and move all variables to the beginning of the function they are declared in so I have been trying to see if it is possible to switch off in Visual studio the rule that all variables must be declared at the beginning of a function body.

So far I have tried renaming my files from .C to .CPP and also I tried changing my C/C++ compiler settings switch from /Tc to /TP. This enabled me to compile the code with variables declared anywhere in a function however I now find parts of the code which uses the keywords "enum" and "typedef struct" no longer compiles.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Change

typedef struct {
} ABCD;

to

struct ABCD {
};

C++ can reference ABCD directly. Same for typedef enum. Alternatively post an example of the code that doesn't compile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back