Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to backup Exchange Server 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiltedscotsman

Technical User
Dec 3, 2002
GB
Hi

I am using BE 8.6 and trying to backup Exchange Mailbox(s). I do the following:

1. Select a backup job
2. select C: (fine)
3. Select Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes (Prompted with a dialogue box).

the dialogue box is looking for a mailbox name, I don't know what to put in here. I have tried various possibilities but always get the password incorrect.

I would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Kilted

You should be backing up the information store and the SRS if you are in a mixed mode environment. If you also want to backup the mailboxes (not recommended by MS) you will need to follow Backup Execs instructions on setting it up - you can't just select mailboxes without a good deal of preparation.

Thanks,

So will backing the IS and SRS backup all users email folders/files?
and how can I verify this?

Thanks again

Kilted

KiltedScots:
------------

- backing up the IS will backup the pub and priv.edb. The users mailboxes are contained in the priv.edb. if one user has problems with the mailbox and a restore is needed, you will have to restore the IS for the sake of one mailbox.

Sounds like you have the exchange agent installed and are having issues being able to BU (backup) indiv. mailboxes:

- for the mailboxes, the password box is greyed out by default. You should be entering the mailbox name you have created for the BE service account NOT a password.

Follow these steps:

A- install a mapi client on the media server (if exchange is local to BE and its exchange 2000, I would recommend you stop the exchange services first)
b) log on with the BE service account (check to see what account is being used to start the BE services)on to the media server.
c) create a mailbox for the BE service account making sure the 1st 5 letters are unique
d)If you are using Outlook 2000 as the mapi client : stop all BE services on the media server > copy the mapi32.dll from the 103*\nt directory to the veritas\backup exec\nt directory > start all be services (dont use Outlook 2002 or outlook express)
e) you should still be logged on with the BE service account at this stage > create the profile for the service account and send "yourself" a testmail. If the email is not received you have some sort of connectivity issues going on there and as BE uses mapi as the connection to the mailboxes, you going to have difficulties. Check the mailbox is present in the global address list and make sure its not hidden.
f) try to attach (you will be prompted the first time)...still an issue?....
g) not sure if we are talking about exchange 2000 or 5.5, if 2000 > delegate control and give the BE service account Full excahange admin rights, if 5.5 verify that the BE service account has the exchange service account admin role and site, configuration and server levels incl. send as and mailbox owner rights.....

- hope this helps
cheers
Dog.

Dog,

Sorry I was not in touch earlier, things were hectic then for a while - I had to end up reinstalling the server from scratch.

I must thank you for a very detailed description, although I have not had the chance to put it to use as yet.

Thanks again, Dog

Regards,

Kiltedscot

KiltedScots|:
-------------

- no problem, just drop a note if you are still having issues attaching to the indiv. mailboxes. If you can backup the IS, it gives you some breathing space to get the indiv. mailbox backups working.

Cheers
Dog.

Acess is denied when trying to backup exchange mailboxes with backup exec 8.5.

Exchange 2000

Each service locally and remotely are logging in as the backup exec services account (Administrator)

*If I create another service account with exactly the same permissions and delegation rights, I cannot see any mailboxes. Upon connection backup exec prompts for a valid mailbox and when I use Administrator I can see the
mailboxes and can select each or all of the mailboxes.

-Outlook 2000 is installed on the backup machine
-Exchange Administration is installed on the backup machine
-The service account has a valid alias & e-mail account and is setup and configured on the local machine
-Each local and remote service is logging on as the service account
-Services account is in full control of delegating the exchange server
-Logged in with the backup exec services account

What am I doing incorrectly.....

Another interesting aspect.... I can remotely backup the exchange server successfully without the system state; however, the backup fails on the System State returning an error, "The remote agent is not installed on the remote machine" The agent is installed....

I've already un-installed and re-installed the agent with it logging on as the backup exec services account.... to no avail. Any ideas?

RGILBERT2323: for system state issue see:

You may also find above thread useful for exchange mailboxes > try changing the restrict anonymous support value > see the case to find out more

Good detailed error description and scenerio you gave above !

Hope this helps
Dog

dogmata,

Thanks a bunch! Your solution worked like a charm! I had the same problem of not being able to attach to the mailbox. I was so frustrated I didn't know what to do. I did what you wrote and now it works!! yay! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back