Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to authenticate to old DC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2001
US
I ran DCPROMO on an old server yesterday to demote it, and then replicated everything so the other DC's knew it was no longer a DC. Installed new hard drive, took it up to a DC with DNS and WINS working fine. Gave it a different name because we're buying a bigger server that will replace the old one. This is just for testing now. People are still trying to authenticate to the old DC, but the name and ip are different. Why are they trying to authenticate there when a different server is set as the primary. (I know, there is no primaries in W2K, but I don't remember the term.) Thanks Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
Voltaire -born Francois-Marie Arouet- (1694-1778); French writer.

Glen,

Have you tried renewing the TCP/IP leases on the clients? Also has the old server been completely removed from DNS records?

Ash.

Using fixed ip's, but the dns records is a good idea. Thanks. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
Voltaire -born Francois-Marie Arouet- (1694-1778); French writer.

There was a problem with clients that was fixed with SP2.
W2K client machines would cache login information prior to SP2

Just make sure that you your Global Catalogue Server GCS had the update info and make sure that you delete the older servers in the Active Directory Users and Computers section. You can also update one of the DC's to be the GCS to make sure that everyone authenticates there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back