Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to add new IP on AS400

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenv

Technical User
Jun 17, 2004
US
Logged in as QSECOFR on as400/570.
On command CFGTCP. I select option 1 and press enter.
I enter the new ip address xxx.xx.xxx.xx , name it ethline1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0
(The exsisting IP on there is just 1 number off this new IP and name is ethline0.)
after I enter the info I press enter and a message comes back "TCPIP INTERFACE NOT ADDED".
Is there an option I need to run first before CFGTCP?

Thanks in advance
Verde

As I understand it, you are creating a new IP interface and attempting to give it the name ETHLINE1.
Is ETHLINE1 being added for the Line description parameter? The Line Description parameter refers to the already defined ethernet line.
Try this command:
WRKCFGSTS *LIN ETH*
This will list the defined lines on your system that begin with ETH.

The short answer to your problem may be to use EHTLINE0. The AS/400 / iSeries / System i supports multiple I/P addresses defined to the actual hardware.

what does it say when you press F1 on the error message?

Are you changing the address? or adding an additional address. You can have 2 address for the AS400,, but you would need 2 network adapters, hence 2 ethernet lines, etc.

not quite jmd- you can have multiple ips running on the same card and cable...

Well that is news,,, I though you had to have 2 different line descriptions, with different IP addresses,, and point each line to a different adapter,, learn something new everyday,, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back