Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to add HD & migrate from W2k HD to XP ..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbota

MIS
Dec 5, 2002
US
I have a balky w2k that will only boot to safe mode and it's time to upgrade anyway so I set the w2k NTFS drive to slave and installed a new drive as master. I thought once I got XP going on the new drive, I would just drag the user's files over from the old drive.

So, I booted to the XP Install CD and NTFS formatted the new drive and installed XP. When I was personalizing XP, I noticed it wouldn't let me use the logon the user's w2k logon and when I booted into XP and checked out the drives I found that the slave w2k drive was C and although XP was running, the new XP "master" drive was F or some such. Although I was able to to logoff the initial personal logon, it gave me no way to logon to Administrator etc.

Obviously, there is a security and permissions thing going on.

Can anyone tell me what I have to do to accomplish what I want?

XP as C: with control over security, permissions etc and able to access and drag user files over from the old w2k drive?

(I may eventually discard the old drive ... I'm not sure about that yet...)

Is this Home or Pro XP and have you setup as a dual boot with a choice of systems to load at Boot up?

This is XP Pro and I did not knowingly set it up as a dual boot as the w2k load is corrupted and I will delete it as soon as I have migrated my user files.

As a fix for my posted problems, people are telling me I need to unplug the w2k, format and reinstall the XP and then plug the w2k back in ...

Once I get that fixed, I was just going to drag the data files over but someone said something about a transfer settings wizard but I wasn't sure if that was in XP or w2k and what exactly I would use it on... Do you know anything about this too?

Unplug is defintely way to go. XP has a transfer settings wizard (which I've never used, so can't comment on its capabilities). However, if your 2k load is corrupted, I would have thought you just want data from it - not settings, so I'd just continue as you were.

PS. When you set up XP and it asks for list of names of people who are going to logon, all those users are created as administrators with no passwords (you can change this after you log on). Also, welcome screen only displays those users by default (not the Administrator user) - but by hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del twice at the welcome screen, you can get a 2k style login box - where you can enter Administrator and password if you so wish.

I used the F & S Transfer Wizard a while ago, and it works quite well across a network, I don't know how it will do with another drive in the same computer. As wolluf said, be careful and choose only the data that you need. If 2K was messed up, I wouldn't transfer any settings - only files.

293118 - HOW TO: Use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP

Have a look at the options, I have used it to transfer files (and settings) from from one operating system to another on a dual boot on the same machine.

For info..

Error Message: Windows Cannot Load Your Profile Because It May Be Corrupted (Q318011)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back