Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to add a forum to my website

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbuholtz

Technical User
Nov 6, 2000
US
Hello everyone,

I am trying to create a web page using a non-html program. I am about through but I am trying to accomplish one last task. I want to add a forum to my site. I have read that CGI scripts are the way to go, but I do not know how to use them.

How do CGI Bins work?
Where do I add the script into my page?
How do I get a forum script?

I am new to the web authoring scene. I do not know HTML or any other programing languages, nor do I have the desire to learn them right now. I will certainly try if I have to but I would rather wait until later.

The program that I am using to create the site is "Web Page Construction Kit 6.0 Deluxe" I will be using to host my site when it is finished. I do believe they have CGI capabilities. Assuming that they do, I would appreciate any help.

So knowing a little about what I would like to accomplish, Is it possible?

Thank You all in advance.

hey jbuholtz,
Welcome to TTs. The trick you are trying to accomplish is HTML and programming. You say, " I do not know HTML or any other programing languages, nor do I have the desire to learn". Wel,.... I think you are going to need to learn a little or get some support from someone who knows.

How do CGI Bins work?
-- lots of detail left out --
A web server is a process on a computer that listens to a port on that computer for requests for files (web pages) from the outside. In it's simplest incarnation, a web server serves static HTML stuff...... a browser requests a file => the web server process receives the request and sends a copy of the file back to the browser. In order to get a web server to do CGI (actually execute a program, not just send a copy of a file), you would define an area of a file system ( a dir and it's sub dir's) where executable web applications are allowed to reside. You do that by configuring the web server. That is your 'cgi-bin' area. You then write some CGI code and put a copy of it in the CGI file area on the server. When the web server process receives a request for a file in the 'cgi-bin' area, it tries to find and [red]run[/red] that file. That executable file can do nearly anything you want done on the machine, including manage a forum.

Where do I add the script into my page?
Learn a little CGI and this will become appearent.

How do I get a forum script?
There a few decent free forum packages and many commercial packages. I have used HyperNews with success, but, it takes knowing some Perl and HTML to customize it for your own use.

'Hope this helps.

keep the rudder amid ship and beware the odd typo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back