Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to access GP data through Acess and ODBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktb916

Programmer
Jan 22, 2004
US
I'm running GP 8.0 and am having difficulty accessing GP data. This wasn't a problem until we did the upgrade to 8.0. When i make the connection i don't get a complete list of tables only those for things like INFORMATION SCHEMEA. Is there a problem with my ODBC connection? I only have a machine data source setup - not sure why but i think this is the only way i could get GP to work on my machine.

Any ideas???

Go to Database Utilities and select Linked Table Manager. Select the tables for Access to update (it doesn't update GP just itself) and then select OK.

BobSchleicher

Thanks for the tip unfortunately i'm getting an error now saying the tables can't be found did the table names change when we switched to 8.0?

What is the user that you are connecting with? If it's other than sa, check that the permissions on the table(s) are correct. During the upgrade some tables are dropped and recreated and the security is reset for the GP users only.

Scott

I used to get this problem with crystal reports. There should be an option in your application that says choose to see tables/views/stored procedures

-----------
and they wonder why they call it Great Pains!

jaz

Dumb question, but is it wise to access and ‘change’ any data via access or other ODBC tools like TOAD?

This is why Artemis slew Orion ERP

no such things as dumb questions - only dumb answers - and with that said... I have one

I insert/update/delete data in GP all the time with t-SQL and DTS (or what was formerly known as DTS). Problem that you run into is that between versions of GP the dependancies between tables change and MS will often delete the triggers (or similar) - so it can be done - but MS will not support you doing most of these things if you are not using their APIs

this help?

I only use MS for viewing data i never write back. I don't know enough about the table structure and would be afraid i would not get all necessary tables updated.

I think my problem may have to do with not having a service pack installed. I'm going to try updating and see where i get.

Thanks for the help.

KT

I never did get this to work. The DSN shows in my ODBC connections window in the control panel but doesn't show when i try to connect through Access. Any idea why?

Still stumped

KT

Make sure your ODBC Connection is pointing to the Database that you want. By default it looks at the master DB. You need to change it in the odbc set up to look at your dbase.

Have you guys tried VBA and using DSUO Object Library to store data in the Greatplains Company DB?
I had to modify a form in Greatplains and it resulted in storing extra data.
DSUO objects allow you to create an Object class with proerties (field names) and values (records) that GP stores automatically in the SY9000 table.
It's easy to use, it's integrated with GP and you know that it will not harm or trigger anything that we don't know about ;)

Daren J. Lahey
Just another computer guy...
FAQ183-874 contains "Suggestions for Getting Quick and Appropriate Answers" to your questions.
Support your forums TODAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back