Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to access files from old xp my documents

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctthenerd

Technical User
Jan 3, 2006
US
I haven't had a backup in a very long time but I had windows xp start giving me the blue screen of death with a registry error and now I can't get into that installion but I made a new one from which I hoped to access my documents. Unlucky me C:\documents and settings\Owner is not accessable access denied. Getting my files off of that account means alot to me how can I disable the windows enabled security without access to the other windows copy?

If anyone has a solution to diable the security on my old account my problems will all be over please help.

I know there is a way, I just can't seem to find the thread! Linney posted a link a while back that I read about it, I can't seem to use the right words on the MS site though to find it again.

Have you tried running the 'chkdsk /r' utility via the recovery console for the affected Windows installation? That's definatley worth a shot, as it could save you a lot of time and effort.

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

One way of doing it would be to boot your PC from one of those bootable Linux CDs, such as Knoppix. You can then copy the files you need to a USB drive or burn them to a CD. I don't think Knoppix lets you write to Windows partitions but it definitely lets you read from them. I don't know how it handles Windows access permissions but I suspect that unless your files are encrypted you should still be able to copy them.

It's worth a shot as Knoppix is free and very handy to have around in case of emergency.

Regards

Nelviticus

I keep my old disks as a last resort backup when changing PCs and I have always been able to access the disks through an external USB to ide cable or install the disk as a slave.

I think smah has the best answer, it certainly is easier.

NARSBARS

Did you reinstall Windows on the same hard drive, just in another directory?
Are you logging in with an ID that is a local administrator?

If you are logged in as a local administrator for that computer, browse with explorer to your old folder and check security on that folder and verify that administrators have full access permission on that folder. If necessary add 'administrators' will full access. Repeat as necessary on any sub-folders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back