Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

trying to access a peer-peer XP network over the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceHigh1234

Instructor
Dec 21, 2004
US
I need to access a specific computer on a windows xp peer to peer network from a remote computer over the internet. There is 1 router and the network uses 192.168.XX.XX addressing, with the router being 192,168,1,254 and the computer I need to access being located at 192.168.1.102. The computers use a DSL connection. As of this exact moment I am wihout the password for the router, but I will gt that. What is the best way to go about doing this, taking security in to account.

Thanks in advance
-Mark Vickroy

Update - got the router password.

Hardware Cayman 3546 WAN: ADSL LAN: 4-port Switch
Serial Number 1248895
Software Version 6.4.0R2 BreakWater Firewall ClearSailing
Product ID 1117

WAN
Status Up Data Rate (Kbps) Downstream: 1536

IP Address 69.153.98.73 Upstream: 384

Default Gateway 69.153.98.78
Netmask 255.255.255.248
DHCP Client Off DHCP Lease Expires N/A
NAT On WAN Users Unlimited

LAN
IP Address 192.168.1.254
Netmask 255.255.255.0
DHCP Server On DHCP Leases 3 out of 253 leases in use
DNS-1 151.164.14.201 DNS-2 151.164.1.8

SO I need to connect to a computer on the LAN over the internet

Ace,
What you need to do is setup port forwarding in the router. I believe Netopia calls it a "pinhole". You will forward the outside "WAN" IP to the inside "LAN" IP of workstation that you are trying to get to using port 3389 for RDP. This will only work if you are using Windows XP Pro. The HOME edition does not allow RDP or Terminal Services.

I hope this helps.

I have a related problem.

I'm trying to connect to a workgroup computer behind a Linksys wired router w/4-port switch.

When I enter the router's WAN address into XP Pro Remote Desktop Connection, I get a screen prompting for a Windows login.

What UserName and Password is being asked for? Does the router use a forwarder to a specific machine, to which I log on with a local account and then access other computers in the workgroup from there?

Thanks,

S

It's likely looking for the username/password on the remote computer, assuming that the remote router has "port forwarding" set up properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back