Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TRY CATCH locking up sysobjects table

Status
Not open for further replies.

123FakeSt

IS-IT--Management
Aug 4, 2003
I wrote this little script to change all of a schema's tables to 'dbo' but when it runs into a table that already has a 'dbo' version, it locks up my entire database until I kill the process.

Is there an easier way to acheive this?

Code:
DECLARE @dbusername		VARCHAR(255)
DECLARE @tablename		VARCHAR(255)
DECLARE @fullname		VARCHAR(255)

SET @dbusername = 'notdbo'

/* Get all tables with that username */
IF OBJECT_ID('tempdb..#tables') IS NOT NULL DROP TABLE #tables
IF OBJECT_ID('tempdb..#results') IS NOT NULL DROP TABLE #results
SELECT [name] stablename INTO #tables FROM sysobjects WHERE USER_NAME(uid) = @dbusername AND xtype = 'U'
SELECT 'Step 1 - ' + stablename + ' found for user ' + @dbusername AS sresult INTO #results FROM #tables
SELECT TOP 1 @tablename = stablename FROM #tables
WHILE @@rowcount > 0
BEGIN
	SET @fullname = '[' + @dbusername + '].[' + @tablename + ']' 
	INSERT INTO #results SELECT 'Step 2 - ' + @fullname + ' - Attempting to change to dbo'
	BEGIN TRY
		EXEC sp_changeobjectowner @fullname,'dbo'
	END TRY
	BEGIN CATCH
		INSERT INTO #results SELECT 'Step 2 - ' + @fullname + ' ERROR:' + ERROR_MESSAGE()
	END CATCH
	DELETE FROM #tables WHERE stablename = @tablename
	SELECT TOP 1 @tablename = stablename FROM #tables
END

SELECT sresult FROM #results ORDER BY 1

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Validate the schema in the beginning. You want to change all objects that are not already owned by DBO to DBO.

DBO is usually schema_id = 1

Code:
SELECT *
FROM sys.schemas

You can join on the sys.schemas table to elimate objects already owned by DBO. Try something like this (not tested).

Code:
SELECT o.[name]
FROM sys.objects o
JOIN sys.schemas s
ON o.schema_id = s.schema_id
WHERE s.name <> 'dbo'

-SQLBill

The following is part of my signature block and is only intended to be informational.
Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

I actually need the script to only change one schema to dbo (this is a SQL Server 2000 upgrade to 2008 issue)
Well the issue is here:

CRASHES SERVER UNTIL PROCESS KILLED
Code:
	BEGIN TRY
	END TRY
	BEGIN CATCH
		INSERT INTO #results SELECT 'Step 2 - ' + @fullname + ' ERROR:' + ERROR_MESSAGE()
	END CATCH

WORKS OKAY
Code:
		/* INSERT INTO #results SELECT 'Step 2 - ' + @fullname + ' ERROR:' + ERROR_MESSAGE() */

After running this, I can no longer see the tables in SSMS ... the server processor gets pegged at 95-99% ... until I kill the process.
Removing the "TRY" and "CATCH" makes this work beautifully, but I can't log the ERROR_MESSAGE(). :-(

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back