Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trusts between 2003 sbs and 2000 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcolmer25

Technical User
Dec 5, 2002
IE
Hi

I really hope you might be able to help me out with a serious problem i am about to encounter. Ok here goes.

I am installing an SBS 2003 server in tot Belfast site to replace 2000 server and exchange 2000. We also have a Dublin site which is main site and all mail comes. All mail for Belfast users gets routed to Belfast server. Dublins DC is running 2000 server with Exchange 2000

Dublin and Belfast are 2 seperate domains
Dublin internal domain= fgs.local
Belfast int domain= fgsbelfast.local
Both Dublin and Belfast email address are user@fgs.ie.

The problem i have is that i have read that it is not possible to setup trusts between 2 different domains with SBS. Unfortunately i am travelling 100 mles up to Belfast on Monday to set this up and only found out about this limitation few days ago. I have searched the web endlessly for a way around this problem but everyone says it cannot be down except for a few saying there is a backdoor or maybe some registry change on SBS to allow trusts.
I am really at my wits end and would really appreciate any help or advice you might have.
Please let me know if you need any more info that i might have left out.

Thanks in advance

Max

As you have already found out this just can not be done.

If your Exchange and Outlook are 2003 then you could configure your Belfast clients to use Outlook over HTTP and just not install Exchange on the SBS Server. Mail would be slow but it would accomplish your goal.

Be sure to install hotfix 331320 to get this to work.

Outlook Web Access is also another solution. OWA 2003 is so cloce to regular Outlook that it is a much more acceptable solution than previous versions.

I would HIGHLY advise against any registry hacks not sanctioned by Microsoft. If you ever need to call in for critical support you won't be able to get it. In the long run this would be a much worse situation than you are in now and there could also be legal concerns.

There are upgrade rights for the SBS box, but it is not inexpensive, it will only protect your existing investment.
So you might want to consider that, set things up using one of the alternate methods I have described above and then return later to upgrade the server from SBS to Windows 2003.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

This can be done. I have done it several times. All you have to do is install a windows 2000 server in a temporary pc and promote it to Domain Controller for both domains and create the trust relationship between both. Then, when you install the new server and configure the system, you can migrate the mailboxes.

Remember to run:
Please remember that Microsoft Knowledge Base 295765 says:

"The server is a single-domain solution, which is not intended to be integrated with other Windows domains. You are not permitted to establish explicit trusts to other Microsoft Windows NT nor to Active Directory domains. Also, Small Business Server 2000 does not enable you to create child domains."

So this is just a temporary solution which if you leave for a long term, you not only do not comply with this EULA but also run into other problems.

Gladys Rodriguez
GlobalStrata Solutions

globalstrata,

You have missed what maxcolmer25 is looking to do. He wants to permanently run the SBS 2003 server with Exchange and have that Exchange server be part of an existing 2003 Site. He wants to have a front end Exchange server route mail to the SBS server.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back