Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trusted Sites - Why Add Them? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DMF

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
GB
Hi,

I was wondering why some sites require you to add them to the trusted sites section.

Most sites I visit work perfectly fine, yet a couple of sites our members have to use require you to add them to the trusted sites section not just for https but non-SSL url as well.

Why, what is it these sites do that require them to be added to this section.

One assumes they are doing something which IE considers a security risk otherwise they would not need to be 'Trusted'.

Help understanding this is appreciated.

Regards,
1DMF

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Google Rank Extractor -> Perl beta with FusionCharts

For example, you can allow ActiveX from trusted sites but now from non-trusted ones.

Cheers,
Dian

This will come down to the settings on your browser.

Some corps for example set your Internet realm to "HIGH" and intranet to "LOW"

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Right, got it Dian, it's just a way of setting different security policies.

Internet/Local/Trusted/Not Trusted and then the relevant security settings for these policies / types.

I guess it's activeX this company requires to be trusted for, but how can you check or tell why a site requires to be added to trusted.

Adding to trusted allows more than just activeX doesn't it?

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Actually you can configure security leves for everything, activex was just and example, you can customize javascript, applets, etc.

How can you know a web needs to be added? Usually because it doesn't work

I personally only add to trusted sites Intranet applications to ease the burden of signing active controls. There may be some exceptions to this, like business partners or well-known service providers, but I think a good web developer should do things so there's no need for further configuration at client side

Cheers,
Dian

Exactly my view Dian!

This is a business partner's extranet site, but won't work unless added to trusted.

My concern is why? what does the site do that requires this action.

I'm not saying anything sinister is going on and they can't be trusted, I'm trying to understand why this would be required, why a site cannot work without this.

Is it not possible to code a site and achieve the desired goals, without the need to alter a client browsers standard security settings?

OK, I don't accept any activeX components in my browser, but if a site reqires an activeX component, isn't there a way to have the browser function without lowering security?

AJAX - ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")

Doesn't require a site to be aded to Trusted, so it can't be just because it's activeX.

I'm just trying to understand the times this action may be required legitimatey.

I would ask them for the exact security requirement. Add a web to the Trusted Sites doesn't guarantee anything, as you can personalize settings.

There are a lot of things that cannot be achieved, like accesing local documents. But the way to do that with standard setting is signing the scripts

Cheers,
Dian

Unfortunately, all they say is to add them to trusted sites.

Their site won't even work on IE8 without the compatability button pressed.

Two weeks of my life has been lost fielding support querries with their system as Vista has further problems and requires additional urls to be added to trusted sites, and they have aslo suggested taking Vista out of protected mode!

All staff has complained about this new system , but the T&C guy, when I tried to talk about the complete fiasco we have had, got narky over all the hard work he'd put in and didn't see there being a fiasco.

Typical, they aren't office based, we have had nearly two months of the system not working, no user guides, nothing, he writed a half baked PDF help guide and then takes offence when the office staff aren't happy.

He hasn't had to field a constant stream of support issues, and so much for his hard work on the trouble shooting guide, when 50% of the members haven't bothered to read it and so phone the office anyway.

Hey ho, keeps me busy I guess, plus none of the web apps and systems I have written have suffered from any of these problems, my stuff has been standards complaince W3C'd and functioned properly ever since IE6. So looks good with the boss :)

So who says the standards are a waste of time and effort ;-) , they've done me proud for many years now!

N.B. ( I know the answer to that, the SEO world - [lol] )

Run the app and see what errors you get, that will tell you what they are trying to access.

Cheers,
Dian

all you get is a pop up PDF with instructions on adding them to the trusted sites.

So it seems they are testing and then offering instructions based on the result of the test.

It's no big deal really, I was just curious, it's costing a lot of man hours supporting members who can't follow the instructions, but I guess that's what i'm here for, to support the members!

So musn't grumble, yeah that'll be the day!

Thanks for all your input Dian, on not just this thread, I really appreciate your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back