Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trust !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brucomela

Programmer
Oct 15, 2001
IT
Hi dear friends, I've had to format my LAN Server (8 hosts on local network) and I've changed its OS from windows NT to Windows 2k server.
Problem: appearently I need to re-estabilish trust relationship between hosts and server: at the moment host can access server, BUT hosts can't dialogue each other and server itself can't access hosts. Error alert says "Cannot find any available Server for accessing"

Anyone has experience of this situation?

Thanks in advance, please suggest something step by step...otherwise I'm in a mess!!!

Ack, accidentally clicked off too soon. (hmm...that doesn't sound right...)Anyway, did you set up WINS as well? What O/S are your clients? I'll assume they can ping each other...?

Dear Brontosaurus, in DNS I can see some entries made during installation, but I don't really know what should I do to configure it (I was used to configure NT, and think it was easier!). Do u think that this is the problem? Actually in DNS I can see hosts names, grouped under User Group, and thought this was enough, but probably it's not!

Can u please suggest me something?

Thanx a lot

Ok Brontosaurus, hosts can ping each other, and they all use win2k (server was NT, now is 2kserver). Server can ping hosts.

No, I really don't know anything about WINS, and to clear the situation, I've only finished to install win2k server assigning it the same IP it had in NT, nothing else. How should I proceed now?

You wiped your NT4 server and rebuilt it as a w2k server?
This is now a new network, you need to rejoin the new network. Take the clients back to workgroup and then join the new network.
Using exact same name and IP address doesn't help, as the new domain is just that a new domain. The clients dont automatically become members.

Ok futuretech, but, let's suppose I had 50 clients in my network: turning the server into win2k would have meant that I needed to recreate joins for all of them one after the other?! No other way round?!

Thanks all the way for your answer, I will try it on a client immediately to see if it works!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back