Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trust relationships. Cannot log on. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

richclever

IS-IT--Management
Oct 5, 2000
FR
I have just set up two-way trust relationships on both my NT4 servers. I can't log on to the first domain from the second (using on of the firsts users).

This is the first time I have tried trust relationships, and I am sure I am not doing something simple. I have read about assigning global groups from one domain to local groups in the other domain, but don't understand how.

Can any one help!!!

Thanks

If you are using trusts, you must know that
1. you will only be able to log on to domain A with a user from domain A
and you will only be able to log on to domain B with a user from domain B
2. you will be able to access resources on your domain B server with your domain A user (logged on to domain A) when you explicitly allowed access to the share to that user

If you look into the share permissions, you should be able to see the list of both domains.
Try adding a user from domainB to a share on the domainA server, log on to domainB with that specific user and try to access the resource...

Good Luck Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

Thanks Peter

I have realised that this is so, so I am going to have to have a login for each user in each domain. I workin a school, and we want each user to have carefully controlled settings in each of our domains (desktop, start menu etc.) Do you know if it is possible to control passwords across the domains, so that if one is changed in one domain, it will automatically change in the other. (We want the log on process to be identical in both domains). We are using WIN98 clients.

Thanks

Richard

To computers/servers of domain A:
add Domain Users from domain B to the local users
add Domain Admins from domain B to the local Admins
add Domain Guests from domain B to the local guests

To computers/servers of domain B:
add Domain Users from domain A to the local users
add Domain Admins from domain A to the local Admins
add Domain Guests from domain A to the local guests

Hope this helps

I tought you where using NT workstations. If that was the case it allowed users from domain A to log on to computers of domain B.
You should make this change on your servers if you want to allow users from domain A to access servers on domain B and visa versa.
This is because in NT your computer is a also a member of the domain, and default it allows only users from the same domain. Of course if you share something on a server from domain A you can assign permissions to groups from domain B.
But Administrators from domain B can't administer servers from domain A

Regards,

David

Just a quick ?:

Is it generally better to have one domain with multiple OU's or seperate domains (having more moving parts, thus more prone to error??)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back