Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trust Relationship with SBS 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmono

IS-IT--Management
Nov 2, 2004
IE
Hi,

Does anyone know if there is any way to create a 2-way trust relationship between SBS 2003 and an existing DC with 2003 Standard?

You cannot create trusts with SBS 2003.

From the MS website
There can be only one Windows Small Business Server 2003 server in a domain. Each Windows Small Business Server 2003 server is typically connected to the Internet either directly or through a firewall. Windows Small Business Server 2003 does not support trusts between domains; therefore, user names and resources could not be shared between those Windows Small Business Server 2003 servers. Further, Windows Small Business Server 2003 installs at the root of the Active Directory forest, and it cannot be demoted, or have the flexible single-master operation (FSMO) roles removed.

Pagy is correct you cannot create a trust with an SBS domain.

However, I have seen articles proclaiming it is possible.

In short you have to add another DC to your SBS domain, turn off the SB Server and then create the trust with the other DC.

I've never tried this and have some reservations, but if I find the article I'll post a link.

Windows and NT Admin.

Keep in mind you'll lose PSS support if you do that. They have gotten pretty uptight with sites that post that information, since it voids the licensing.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back