Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

trust relationship between win2k and winNT

Status
Not open for further replies.

wontolla

Technical User
May 28, 2001
MX
Hi guys!!!

We had a windows NT server and our plan is to update to windows 2000, so we installed it in another machine, now I want to copy all the information from de old to the new server but I can´t see it in the network.

I tried to make a trust relationship but when I try to make a test of it, I get a error message: Access denied, error with the security chanel (SC). Then it tries to repair it but shows another error, it can't establish the security channel (SC).

If I try to access it shows this error in both servers:

"The trust relationship between primery domain and the trusted domain failed."

I don't know what else can I do, hope you have some idea.

THANKS!!!!!!!

Why create a trust? Are they two separate domains? If not, just add the 2k box to the NT domain.
Al
atc-computing@home.com

thanks ATcal!!
well, there is two domains, I want to setup the w2k server and forget about windowNT

but I don't know how can I add the 2k box to the NT domain, can you explain me???

Hi wontolla,

why you cannot to connect a Share on W2K? You have an user there, you can connect on the IP-Adress... You must not have a Trust, I think so...

We have had a problem to connect from a w2k-Domain, in native-mode, to a NT4-Exchange-Server. There you must to set the policies on the NT. We have set the user rights: EVERYONE to 'Access this computer from network' and 'logon locally'. I don't know, if you need both, but it works...

I think wot yr asking is about migrating nt to 2000. The way I would go about it goes a little like this. Install nt on a server as a bdc in yr domain, sync all yr data. Take it off your network, upgrade it to win2k.

OR

Install w2k into yr nt domain, then sync the data with it. Im playing to migrate one of our sites to win2k and im gonna go for the first option as its the easiest

When migrating also make yr u have a bdc spare incase it goes wrong so you have a fall back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back