Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
Just had this on two computers in a AD environment for the first time since everything was put in two plus years ago. Windows Server 2008 R2 and all Windows 7 SP1 workstations. I see a lot of how to fix the issue - remove PC from domain/reboot/re-add to domain, but is there a root cause than can be fixed.

I see Microsoft saying to apply a hotfix 2545850 Is this what I should apply to server & workstations?
Link

That mentions an IIS-hosted website and our server is just used for logging into the domain and file access.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

I would use this strategy for fixing trust:

But first I would make sure that the system times on your workstations and domain controllers are in sync, and run the second FIXIT on this page on your DC:
- make sure that for time servers, replace the placeholders with pool.ntp.org and time.nist.gov if you are in the US.

The other reason you might be seeing this is if you have multiple DCs and the AD replication health is bad and some DCs aren't actually up to date or synced with the other DCs.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net

Only one server in this office so multiple DCs not in play here. Only workstations having this issue.

The workstation fix was simple if not convenient, so I wasn't asking about that - remove PC from domain, reboot, add to domain. I just don't understand what happened. Interesting about the time angle. I will try the fixit. It's just interesting that two years have gone by with zero issues and then it hit a couple of workstations after a password change.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back